Skin pigmentation, causes and treatments
If one wants to feel beautiful then he/she needs to be comfortable in his/her skin. But sometimes that comfort can be bit of a reach when there is pigmentation. It also leads to lack of self confidence and self esteem in some individuals. A lot of women to cover their uneven skin are now using color correctors, concealers, bb creams & foundation.
Pigmentation can easily be concealed with makeup but one should never feel the need to use these artificial products and should step out into the world with confidence.
What is skin pigmentation?
Pigmentation means coloring. Skin pigmentation disorder is a condition that affects the color of the skin. It darkens the patches of the skin which can be large or small and the skin looks uneven and unhealthy. The skin basically gets it color from a pigment called melanin which is produced by the cells of the skin. When the cells which produce melanin are damaged or unhealthy it leads to excessive production of melanin in certain areas, causing those areas to darken.
Causes of skin pigmentation
- Excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Skin damage which may be caused because of injury.
- Allergic reactions
- Medications which show hyper pigmentation as side effect
- Improper way of removing of facial hair.
- Hormonal changes caused by rise in estrogen and progesterone levels because of pregnancy or birth control pills
- Hyper pigmentation can also be hereditary in some individuals.
Treatment of skin pigmentation
The natural ways by which one can treat hyper pigmentation are-
- Multani mitti mixed with rose water lightens dark patches of your skin.
- Raw potato when rubbed in circular motion on skin works wonders.
- Apply lemon juice mixed with honey on the affected areas of your skin.
- Apply Lemon juice mixed with basil leaves over dark circles it will reduce discoloration
- Mix oatmeal, milk and brown sugar in equal parts and rub on the affected areas.
- Overnight soak the almonds, grind them and add milk to form a paste and apply on the skin.
- Apply raw papaya juice or the pulp of a ripe papaya on the skin to reduce pigmentation.
- Use a paste of dry orange peels powder mixed with milk, honey and lemon juice on the skin.
- Apply lemon juice mixed with honey and lemon water for reducing pigmentation.
- Apply mashed avocados on the skin and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Make a paste of banana, honey and milk and apply on the affected areas of skin.
- Apply full fat plain yoghurt on the skin.
Tips for reducing Hyper-Pigmentation
- Avoid direct sun exposure.
- Include plenty of green leafy vegetables in your diet like spinach, coriander, asparagus, curry leaves.
- Do not touch your face without washing your hands.
- Don’t bathe with extremely hot water. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Drink lots of water and eat as many fruits as possible to keep your skin hydrated.
One should maintain a proper skin care routine and should not forget to exfoliate at least twice a week because a bad skin can really take a toll on your self-esteem. By following the above mentioned tips and remedies one can surely achieve beautiful and flawless skin.