A vegan diet comprises of only plants based foods such as vegetables, grains, nuts and fruits.It excludes the animal sources of food like milk and milk based products. One of the reasons to go vegan is protecting the animals in order to reduce the carbon foot prints. Production of animal-based products impose a burden on environment as food and water are required to feed the animals. Going on a vegan diet requires less of crops and water to sustain making it an effective way to reduce the impact on the Earth.
A vegan diet is completely balanced as it provides all the nutrients one needs to sustain life also it gives immense health benefits like reducing weight, hypertension, cholesterol, heart attacks, stroke and certain types of cancer.
WHY GO VEGAN:
- Reduce BMI – Going vegan cause a reduction in weight as plant-based foods have lesser calories.
- Better digestion – Plant-based foods have ample amount of fiber which helps in better digestion, improvement in health, elasticity of skin within a week of being a vegan.
- Better Sleep -People who are having trouble in sleeping should go on a vegan diet which contains plant based foods having B6 and tryptophan which help in improving the quality of sleep. The changes one goes through the first week of adopting vegan diet is exactly how he has treated his body in past.
- Toxins – Going on a vegan diet makes one lose fat and therefore toxins start to get released which results in headaches and sometimes nausea. Consuming food rich in raw fruits and vegetables helps the body to flush out toxins faster.\
- Cancer prevention – A study done in 2016 shows that having vegan diet protects against certain cancer like prostrate and colon cancer.
- Longevity – A vegan diet means including foods like fiber, nuts, fruits, no processed meats which therefore means that vegans are not at a risk of developing cancer or heart disease.
Compared to the animal food-based diet vegans eat less saturated fat and cholesterol and more of vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, plant chemicals like carotenoids. Thus, they have a lower LDL cholesterol, blood pressure, better immunity which are associated with longevity.
Suggested article: Lose Weight With Your Own Diet
Certain dietary Recommendation to follow for a vegan diet:
- Folic acid – It is important to include fortified soya and rice products or to take a B12 supplement.
- Calcium – Sources of calcium include tahini, soya, green leafy vegetables, calcium-fortified foods like ready to eat cereals, certain beverages.
- Vitamin D – Vegans must include soya milk, juices, breakfast cereals and other products which are fortified with vitamin D.
- Omega 3– It can be obtained through flaxseeds, canola oil, soy products hemp seed.
- Zinc – Vegans must ensure to consume foods rich in zinc like grains, legumes because of the high phytate content of a typical vegan diet.
TIPS FOR A HEALTHY DIET:
- Vitamin B12 supports nervous and digestive system , prevents depression and fatigue and improves sleep, energy , skin and hair.
- Sources of vitamin B 12 are eggs,chicken , meat, cheese, fish.
- Omegas 3 balances the hormones, reduce inflammation, relax the blood vessels and make the cells healthy.
- Omega 3 sources are flax seed, hemp seed, chia seed, walnut etc.
- Sleep more to slim down.
- Put a stop on your sweet tooth.
- Foods rich in vitamins are almonds, pinenuts, cashew nut, spinach.
- Black pepper protects against heart disease.
- Curcumin protects cells against oxidative damage.
- Cinnamon has anti fungal, antibacterial and anti parasitic properties.